Half a million displaced war victims in northwest

Most of the people affected by the military operation underway in Idleb are Syrians who had already fled other parts of the country affected by the war.

About half a million people are internally displaced due to clashes that have been going on for two months in northwest Syria, the United Nations announced. “Since December 1, 520,000 people have been displaced (…) with the majority (80%) being women and children”, David Swanson, spokesman for the United Nations Humanitarian Affairs Office, told France Presse.

Clashes in northwest Syria intensified after the offensive by the Damascus Army, backed by Russian forces, against Islamic extremists began. Supported by Moscow aviation, the Bashar al-Assad regime currently maintains an offensive aimed at reconquering various cities and towns in the province of Idleb, disregarding the ceasefire periods that are sometimes established by the opposing forces. “The violence is almost daily (…) and causes unjustifiable suffering to hundreds of thousands of people living in the area”, reinforces Swanson. “This latest wave of displaced people is aggravated by a humanitarian situation that is already disastrous”, added the spokesman, stressing that the majority of civilians are fleeing the front, especially in the southern region of the province of Idleb. “Most of the displaced are staying in urban areas or in Idleb reception centers”, near the border with Turkey, or in the Syrian region of Aleppo, he said.

According to the United Nations, most of the people affected by the military operation underway in Idleb are Syrians who had already fled other parts of the country affected by the war. Several parts of northwestern Syria (Idleb and Hama) are dominated by Islamic extremists from Hayat Tahrir al-Cham in addition to armed opposition groups.

Between April and August 2019 the whole region was marked by a major offensive that claimed thousands of victims, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. The Damascus regime controls 70% of the country and claims to be determined to regain northwestern Syria.

The conflict that started in 2011 has already killed 380,000 people and millions of refugees and internally displaced persons.


Read the original text (Portuguese language) on the website of our partner

Record TV Europa

https://recordeuropa.com/noticias/mundo/meio-milhao-de-deslocados-vitimas-da-guerra-no-noroeste-da-siria-08-02-2020